Tim Trowbridge's Blog

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

I recently did some work on the mathematics portion of an SAT practice test, and I’m told that there’s a lot more work of a similar nature on the way, so I’m looking forward to that. Also, I just purchased the book Flatland by Edwin Abbott online. Here is Amazon.com’s description of the book:

Flatland was published in 1880 and imagines a two-dimensional world inhabited by sentient geometric shapes who think their planar world is all there is. But one Flatlander, a Square, discovers the existence of a third dimension and the limits of his world's assumptions about reality and comes to understand the confusing problem of higher dimensions. The book is also quite a funny satire on society and class distinctions of Victorian England.


The book also includes Sphereland, written sixty years later by Dionys Burger. I’m hoping Flatland and Sphereland give me some good ideas I can use when writing mathematics problems.

Tags: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home