Tim Trowbridge's Blog

Thursday, March 13, 2008

I mentioned in an earlier post that I ordered the books Flatland by Edwin Abbott and Sphereland by Dionys Burger online. (The books are both included in the same volume.) I’m just getting around to reading them, and they’re very interesting. I’m really surprised that I was never required to read these books at some point during a mathematics or physics class, because they definitely make some concepts clear to me that were never very clear before.

For example, I remember hearing at some point that the three-dimensional space that we live in is curved, but that never really meant anything to me before I read Sphereland. Now the concept is perfectly clear to me. It might sound like these books are really complicated, but they’re not. They’re very easy to read and quite entertaining, so if you’re at all interested in mathematics or physics, you’ll want to consider checking them out!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike and Karen - Italy 2017 said...

I read Flatland at least 50 years ago when my high-school math teacher gave me his copy. It was a great book, even for a 16 year old. Haven't thought about it until I saw this post. Never read Sphereland though. I'll have to look it up.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Tim Trowbridge said...

Yes, please check out Sphereland. I liked it even better than Flatland.

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home